On August 21, 2017, a total solar eclipse will sweep across the United States from coast to coast. Some are calling it The Celestial Event of the Century or the Great American Eclipse due to it crossing over America!
To commemorate the event, Girl Scouts can earn a “Great American Solar Eclipse” patch!
Complete two requirements to earn the patch:
- What is a solar Eclipse?
- Why is this solar eclipse so important and labeled “The Great American”? (The last solar eclipse that covered this many states was in the 1800’s.)
- Learn more about the solar eclipse and what states it will cross over. Are you near any of those states? Eclipse Path
- Find out more about one of the states the eclipse will be cross over. What is the state capital, flower, and where is it located? List of 50 States with capitals
- During a solar eclipse (moon blocking the sun) it is very tempting to look directly at this event, doing so usually results in eye damage. Learn about the safety of viewing the eclipse. The only safe way to look directly at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed Sun is through special-purpose solar filters, such as “eclipse glasses” or hand-held solar viewers. Homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses, even very dark ones, are not safe for looking at the Sun. Safety Information from NASA
- Attend an event or facility that has safe ways for you to view the eclipse or see pictures afterwards. Many libraries, planetariums, and museums have free or reasonable priced safety glasses available.
Some helpful links to earn this patch: They are for your reference for earning the patch
Eclipse Party or Event Ideas
Eclipse Party Ideas
Plan an event or Party
Information about the Great American Eclipse
Eclipse Live Stream
Facts about the Eclipse
Where and When
FREE SONG TO DOWNLOAD
Our Service Unit placed our patch order on Aug 25th. If you still need patches, you will need to order the patches directly from Patchwork Designs.