Juniper Village is looking for ways to stay connected and maintain some holiday traditions. Amy Timan has offered to lead another holiday sing-along for residents, but this time it’s going to be on Zoom!
Please sign up your Scouts (and anyone else) who might like to join us on Saturday, December 12 from 3:00-3:30pm.
We will email the song book and zoom link before the event.
Please sign up here to get the song book and connection info!
We are kicking off a reboot of the Outdoor Challenge patch program with some key changes going forward. We hope that these changes will help get the program back on track. You will now be able to find all your outdoor challenge patch information on one page: https://www.statecollegegirlscouts.org/outdoor-challenges.
We will no longer be shipping patches. All patches will need to be picked up from the Service Unit. Once your order is ready, you will get an email letting you know how to arrange a pick up time.
Going forward we will ONLY be accepting online payments using a credit card via PayPal. We will no longer have an option to pay with a check.
The new patches will NOT include a year. Instead we will simply change the design whenever we run low on inventory of the current patch. You will be able to pick from any available patch designs when you order.
The new patch will be available for preview before the winter challenge completes. If you know an artistically inclined Girl Scout who is interested in submitting a patch design, please have her email her design to email@example.com. If your patch is selected for production, your troop leader (or parent) will receive a $25 gift card to the Girl Scout shop.
Going forward we are committed to having all orders fulfilled within 30 days. We sincerely apologize for the delays in order fulfillment for the past year. If you paid for patches that you never received, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are going to try to add a variety of more specific local activities to keep the challenge interesting. We also encourage anyone to submit an idea to be included on the next challenge! If your submission makes it onto a challenge list, your next patch is free!
We have been notified by one of the local senior communities that their residents continue to struggle with loneliness and isolation as they can no longer gather in the community spaces or participate in group events.
We have been requested to send cards, letters, or drawings to help spread cheer.
Letters, cards, and drawings can be mailed to
A New Friend
C/O Stonebridge Senior Apartments
1680 Bristol Ave
State College, PA 16801
Deb Bogdanski provided the following membership news details:
- On March 10th there will be a Town Hall open to all Girl Scouts and volunteers
- My GS will be down for maintenance Nov 18 to Dec 4, this includes the VTK, once the upgrade is complete the site will be more girl centric designed, more user friendly and have a new interface; you will receive an email in December to create a new log in.
- Bylaw Revision Task force is being forms- this will look at reviews and revisions to the GSHPA bylaws. Please contact Deb Bogdanski if interested in joining.
Lutrica Eberly provided an update on the camps and programming:
- Camps Furnace Hills, Small Valley, Happy Valley and Archbald have been retained and are open for reservations
- Journey kits will launch in April
- Volunteer training to take Scouts camping will open in December
- Day Rental options- coming soon
- Reservations for Nature Explorers or Foxfire Team for troops at camp locations- coming soon
- Programs currently online include STEAM with the Program Team, STEAM in the outdoors, At home badge kits, backpacking
The National Delegates gave an update on the National Meeting held virtually. A Gold Award Scholarship feasibility committee has been formed and will report back at the 2023 National Meeting. Several discussions took place about on more transparency on any changes to membership dues. A Lifetime Membership discount is now approved to for any volunteer with 10+ years of volunteerism with Girl Scouts at a fee of $200.
Lily N. from Troop 40170 completed her Bronze Project by making birthday bags for the local food bank so kids with food insecurity could have a birthday. The bags had cake mix, oil, streamers, balloons, icing with sprinkles, crayons, and coloring books:
Continue reading “Bronze Award: Birthday Bags”