- Talk to a teacher, parent, or another adult about how to stay safe at school. Make a list of the three most important rules for playground safety or safety on the school bus.
- Get a map of your neighborhood or town and mark with the police station, fire station, and other important points are located.
- Find out a smoke alarm works. Test the one at your home so you know what it sounds like and to make sure it’s working.
- Choose an upcoming trip you plan to take – to a carnival, amusement park, the mall, or even just the grocery store – and make a safety plan with an adult. Find out what to do if a stranger approaches you in a public place.
- Find out what natural disasters are most common in your area (earthquakes, blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods) and discuss with your family or another adult what to do when they happen.
Earn Brownie Safety Award
Earned by Brownie Scouts.
Know how you and your friends can stay safe on your Cadette adventures:
- Learn how to make a room safe for a young child.
- Find out about water safety and learn to perform a reaching assist from a dock or the side of a pool to help someone out of the water.
- Teach a Daisy or Brownie what to do if she gets lost (Daisy Safety Award) and why she shouldn’t talk to strangers.
- With your family, make sure you have enough food, water, and medical supplies on hand to last at least three days in case of a natural disaster. Remember to plan for pets! It’s important to have someone outside the area whom everyone in your family can contact in case you are separated. Learn who your family contact is or help your family choose a contact.
- Discuss bullying with your Girl Scout group, friends, or family. Write an sign a personal-responsibility statement that covers how you’ll behave at school, at home, and online.
Earned by Cadette Scouts.
Daisies earn their safety award by:
- Understand what to do if you get lost:
- Know your phone number and address.
- Know who it is safe to ask for help.
- Find out what you should do if you or a friend is choking.
- Learn how to do “Stop, Drop, and Roll” if your clothing catches fire.
Some suggested activities:
- Visit the Boalsburg or Alpha Fire Companies or invite a firefighter to come to a meeting.
- Visit the State College Police Department or invite an officer to come to a meeting.
- Make phone number bracelets
Earned by Daisy Scouts.